Monday 17 December 2012

Headless Housefly - Psychoholic & Trefox

Psychoholic & Trefox - Headless Housefly by PsychoholicMedia

OVERVIEW

  This is drum and bass like you've never heard it before! An ecclectic array of mind bending, tripped out sounds take you on a journey to places you never knew existed.

MIXDOWN

  The mix isn't too bad on this track, there are a lot of low midrange sounds going on, and at times I would've liked a little more clarity at the top end. I think the long, reverbed string section overpowers the drums quite dramatically, and I'm sure this is due to the strings taking up so much of the frequency range. Some crafty notch EQ work on the strings would sort that out no problem.
  The drums are ok, although I feel the kick is a little sub heavy. All other elements seem to work well together.

ORIGINALITY

  By far one of the most original tracks I've heard in quite some time. I'm a huge fan of drum and bass, but I can't remember the last time I heard it in such a tripped out way. Psychoholic & Trefox have flipped the boundaries of the genre on it's head, to the point where I certainly wouldn't be able to catagorise this into a sub genre!

SOUND DESIGN

  Such a collection of trippy sounds needs some serious thought when it comes to design. Being able to create these kind of sounds is one thing, getting them to all work well together is another, and Psychoholic & Trefox have managed to do both, with astounding results. Although I do feel they spent so much time on the eccentric sounds, that they may have let slip on the drum work, as I can hear a couple of bog standard breaks rolling along, and the main beat isn't near the clarity I would've liked.

STRUCTURE

  I'm honestly not sure about this bit, I mean, everything seems to fit and work well, but I'm so engrossed in the tripped out flavour of the track that my brain is struggling to process any rules of structure. I think as a singular track it works amazingly, definately take you on a journey. But in a mix? I think it'd be a DJ's nightmare!

KRONIX RATING - 7 / 10

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Tony ! It was absolutely a delight reading this not only is your review spot on the facts but also well wrote and you can really feel your love for drum and bass.

    Cheers - Psychoholic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to comment. And I'm glad I hit it spot on in your thoughts! Would be more than happy to review any of your future works.

    ReplyDelete